Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Completely...



James is one of my favorite books of the bible, I love how boldly he speaks to the heart of the reader. One day I am excited to meet him and chat for a while. My daily reading landed on James 1 today. I'm actually studying a section of this scripture for a class I am taking. James 1:2-4 is one of my favorite verses in the whole bible “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”

I don't really want to focus on the trials of life but on being complete. Our life has a purpose. God is orchestrating that purpose. In fact Proverbs 19:21 says “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.”

As far as trials go I think we can establish that they are a necessary part of life, this verse says they create patience in us and we need to let patience have its perfect work so we can be complete, lacking in nothing. Here's what I want to hone in on, did you know that word "complete" is actually a verb? Complete is an action word! We can not be passive and be complete, we can not let the various trials of this life steal our joy and be complete, we can not give up and be complete! Completed does not equal passiveness, complete requires action on our part! Action to endure, action to preserve, action to ask and pray for wisdom in trial, and action to believe the Lord is directing your path! Believe is a verb too by the way... 

We have to do something, we have to make a decision to get up, to fight through. These action we choose either bring us closer to a state of completeness or they keep us chained right where we are. Could you run in the direction of faith today? Could you decide to take action when it feels like there is nothing left? Start with prayer, that is the best action we can take, the Lord will cover the rest!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment